Join Camp GEMS this summer for daily fun in science, language, field studies, and sports! Open to ages preschool (3 years old) to 9th grade (15 years old)
Please read the information below and when you're ready, sign-up here!
(Register early as spaces are limited.)
All signed up? Join us at our summer camp orientation meeting!Questions? Contact Camp Director Marjorie Blettry at email@example.com
Six weeks, running Monday, June 19-Friday, July 28, 2017:
Week 1 - 6/19-6/23
Week 2 - 6/26-6/30
Week 3 - 7/3-7/7 [closed 7/4 for holiday]
Week 4 - 7/10-7/14
Week 5 - 7/17-7/21
Week 6 - 7/24-7/28
$400/week (Early bird special before April 3: $375/week)
$2200 for the full six weeks of camp (a $200 savings!)
Note: There is a non-refundable deposit of 25% per child with each registration. The balance is due May 1, 2017 and is refundable until May 1, 2017 (less the 25% per child deposit). After May 1, 2017, all monies are non-refundable.
Lunch included through our food provider, HandCut Foods!
Before and after care:
- Before care - 8-9 a.m. $35/week
- After care - 3-5:30 p.m. $80/week
Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri mornings will be dedicated to academics and afternoons to language and sport activities. Wednesday will be our Field Studies day and we will be out visiting places like local conservatories, beaches, museums, and businesses. (Note: younger learners will not take part of the field trips and will stay around the school.)
Prek to K Schedule:
- 9-11 a.m. Science
- 11-11:45 a.m. Language (choice of French or Spanish)
- 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Lunch
- 12:15-1:15 p.m. Nap
- 1:15-3 p.m. Sports
Older Student Schedule:
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays:
- 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Science (Physics and Ecology)
- 12-12:45 pm Lunch
- 12:45-1:30 p.m. Group A: Language (Spanish or French) while Group B: Sports
- 1:30-2:15 p.m. Group B: Language (Spanish or French) while Group A: Sports
- 2:15-3 p.m. Sports
Wednesdays: all-day Field Studies exploring Chicago!
This summer session will look at basic concepts of ecosystems and their interactions among living and non-living factors. Students will learn new vocabulary and learn how to design and do inquiry-based labs on modern issues in urban ecosystems. This will include Field Studies that allow them to use technology and science-based protocol for learning how we can actively change the pace of ecological and environmental issues. Topics will include: water, pollution, bees, eco-greenhouse/soil conservation.
- Week 1 - Fundamentals in Ecology - (photosynthesis/respiration) Vocabulary, Concepts, and eco-walks. Identifying producers/consumers/decomposers- Field days- Eco-mapping grant park
- Week 2 - Design and Inquiry- Ecosystems- Vocabulary/trophic levels in food chains. Work on mark and recapture methods.
- Week 3 - Biomass/productivity energy transfers in eco system
- Week 4 - Bio magnification- Microscopic sampling
- Week 5 - Non-biodegradable building composts
- Week 6 - Building planter boxes and sustainable organic crops
Physics and Engineering:
This summer session will combine elements of force, flight, and speed to understand the most basic and complex principles of physics. Students will combine data to look at computational design and create new projects that will have many fun elements. Topics covered will be flight, pressure and energy, and conservation changes with rockets and energy design. (Lower grades will build circuits and create robotic programming.)
- Week 1 - Concepts of Energy transfer conduction/electricity
- Week 2 - Build own rocket/launch/conduction
- Week 3 - Flight design/water design, buoyancy, water pressure
- Week 4 - Collecting sun/solar mechanics
- Week 5 - Solar powered balloons (design)
- Week 6 - Kites/flight principles
Student's choice of French or Spanish will be taught through songs, games, and fun activities.
- Week 1 - Animals
- Week 2 - Food and 5 senses
- Week 3 - Body parts and clothes
- Week 4 - Time and weather
- Week 5 - Ways of transportation and toys
- Week 6 - Storytelling
Activities include softball, basketball, soccer, ultimate Frisbee, and dodgeball.